Writing and editing
Crafting compelling messages, writing clear, information-rich language, and shaping and editing supplied content has been a key part of most of my communications projects.
Most organizations have a mission statement, a positioning statement, or a set of objectives.
They know what they’re offering their members, customers or audiences, and what they want them to do.
But how to convert what’s often a weighty statement into an accessible, engaging message or a compelling call to action?
Here are some of my key approaches
- Writing rich language in which every word matters
- Knowing the audience
- Understanding how readers interact with both print and online materials
- Being clear about the “ask” for calls to action
- Creating a consistent tone and personality in the writing
- Integrating visual and written content to strengthen and unify the message
- Distilling a hierarchy of information types, and creating a consistent and pleasing experience for the reader
I work with:
- concept development and key messaging for online communications
- social media shareables
- keyword-rich online content
- new stories and headlines
- press releases
- copy editing
I’m also a creative writer
- Twice chosen for the SFU Praxis Screenwriting Fellowship
- Quarterfinalist for an Academy Nicholl Fellowship
- Experience story editing and script reviewing
- Nominated for the Journey Prize Anthology and a Western Magazine Award for fiction